As we continue our 120th anniversary celebration throughout 2022, we are exploring one decade of devotion each month. This month, we delve into The Baby Fold’s history of the 1950s.
On June 22, 1950, ground was broken for The Baby Fold's new nursery. Five buildings were ultimately planned, including an administrative building, a superintendent’s residence, and two cottages, in addition to the nursery. The Baby Fold had operated on a cash-only basis from the beginning and this venture would be no different. To secure the necessary funding, the agency planned to ask for the support of McLean County.
While the majority of children served by The Baby Fold were from McLean County, most support came from elsewhere. The agency had never made a countywide appeal for capital funds before. The Honorable Robert C. Underwood, a board member, spearheaded the McLean County campaign. As a county judge, Underwood overhauled the child welfare policies of McLean County including having a trained social worker in the juvenile probation office for the first time ever.
One very successful promotion for the McLean County campaign was the “Lights On” event on December 14, 1950. The Pantagraph urged readers to leave their porch light on or put a candle in their window from 7:00 – 10:00 pm if they were willing to receive a visit from one of The Baby Fold’s 150 volunteer solicitors. WJBC hosted special broadcasts to report on the progress, featuring Baby Fold Superintendent Rev. William Hammitt, Judge Underwood, local celebrities, and a barbershop quartet. The “Lights On” evening raised $14,000.
On October 17, 1952, The Baby Fold’s new nursery opened. The $260,000 construction included living quarters for the nurses and a clinic. Many special mementos were included during the build. A clay brick from the White House is mounted on a corridor wall with a bronze plaque that states, “original White House material, removed in 1950” with the Great Seal of the United States. Another commemorative plaque near the entrance honors "Mother" Tompie Asher and her years of service as Superintendent. Finally, an exterior cornerstone reads, "The Baby Fold, an Investment in Humanity." All of these items are still on display today; the space now known as Hammitt Elementary School.
(Reference: The Baby Fold: An Investment In Humanity, by Elizabeth Glidden, 1992, and The Pantagraph)
|